What Is Mutton Chukka?
The Mutton chukka Recipe is from the Chettinad cuisine and it is cooked from all over the chettinad restaurants.
Mutton Chukka- “Chukka “ means to dry.
The mutton pieces are pressure cooked with onion, ginger-garlic paste, and sprigs of curry leaves.Then the tender meat is stir-fried in gingerly oil, shallots, red chilli, coriander, cumin and pepper powder and some seasonings to make Mutton Chukka.
Chettinad mutton chukka/Varuval
Ingredients to cook the mutton
- 1/2 kg Boneless Mutton
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Water
Ingredients to temper
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- bunch of curry leaves
- 1 cup onion shallots
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp grounded spice powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- coriander leaves.
To cook the mutton
- Clean and wash mutton pieces. Drain the water completely.
- Pressure cook the raw mutton (Small pieces) with turmeric, salt and water. Pressure cook for up to 7 whistles .
- Separate the stock from the mutton and keep it aside.
- Heat the clay pot or skillet and add sesame oil, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds, curry leaves.
- Then add the onion shallots, curry leaves and saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Now add the red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and freshy ground spice powder.
- Then add the cooked mutton and saute the meat and lets get the meat coat well with the spices.
- Now add the leftover Stock and allow the meat to cook.
- Cover with a lid and cook until it becomes dry over medium heat. It takes 10 to 12 mins.
- Cook on a medium heat until the stock evaporates and the masala clings in to the mutton.
- Add the lemon juice and pepper powder mix well.
- Garnish it with some curry leaves and coriander leaves.Ready to be served.