What is Quesadilla?
The Dish is a modest corn or flour tortilla that is filled and grilled. A full quesadilla combines two whole tortillas with a filling in between – a bit like a sandwich – while a half tortilla is a single tortilla folded over into a half moon shape. Quesadillas are filled with cheese (but not always) and other savoury ingredients such as meat, spices and vegetables before they are grilled.
The quesadilla is an essential recipe and meal in the Mexican culture. It is also to be considered authentic Mexican food. Yet, the quesadilla has roots that expand beyond Mexican traditions. For example, the corn tortilla is native American. The cheese, pork, beef, and lettuce that are essential ingredients in the quesadilla recipe originated from Spanish cultures. Yet, the famous Mexican hot sauce that is made from chili pepper is indigenous to Mexico.
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Bell pepper
- 4 Tortillas
- 2 Cup Cheese
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- Combine all the ingredients Chilli powder,Salt,Cumin powder,Garlic powder and Pepper powder and mix it well with the chicken.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and saute over medium-high heat until done, about 4 minute per side.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet over high heat. Throw in the onions and peppers and cook until the peppers have a few dark brown/black areas, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Sizzle 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in a separate skillet or griddle over medium heat and lay a flour tortilla in the skillet.
- Then build the quesadillas by laying chicken and cooked peppers and then Colby jack cheese. Top with a little more grated cheese and top with a second tortilla.
- When the tortilla is golden on the first side, carefully flip the quesadilla to the other side, adding another 1/2 tablespoon butter to the skillet at the same time. Continue cooking until the second side is golden. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.