Chicken fajitas are easy and flavorful and one of our all-time favorite dinner.A classic Mexican recipe, juicy chicken is seasoned, seared and cooked to perfection, then tossed with sauteed bell peppers and onions.
What Are Fajitas?
Did you know that fajitas is a Spanish term and it usually refers to a grilled meat served in a taco or a flour corn tortilla? So you can literally make these fajitas with any meat you like. However, chicken fajitas are my favorite. So since it usually refers to a grilled meat, you can grill the chicken breasts then cut them up in thin strips and pile them up on your tortillas. However, I love my skillet meals, so I made this all in one skillet.
Healthy Chicken Fajitas
The fajita filling in this recipe is definitely healthy, chicken strips, fresh peppers and homemade seasonings with a dash of olive oil. I personally love to serve these with corn tortillas since I love the flavor.
For Fajita Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- Salt As needed
- 1 tbsp oil
For Chicken Fajitas
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breasts strips
- 3/4 onion
- 1/2 lime
- 3/4 bell peppers
- 1 Jalapenos
For Seasoning the chicken
- In a bowl, combine Red chilli powder, Cumin powder, pepper powder, lime juice, oil, salt; mix together. Add the chicken strips and If time allows, let marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a skillet or pan on medium-high heat until smoking. Add a drizzle of oil of your choice to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Sear the chicken on both sides until golden.Flip them a couple of times while cooking so they get cooked evenly on both sides.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, let it rest.
For the fajitas
- Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook until the onion is soft and the peppers are slightly charred.
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas and top with chicken seasoned, lettuce, guacamole and sour cream.