What is the Indian Bread omelette?
Bread omelette is a favourite Indian street food is no mystery to anyone. We all have heard about it and definitely ate it on many occasions, whether its occasional rains or an outing with friends after school. Interestingly, preparing one at home is not very difficult. All you need is bread slices, green chillies, veggies, eggs, onion and coriander leaves.
A personal favourite online gift is the abundance of street food videos from around the world. One that’s always popping up in my feeds is India’s bread omelette. It’s more of a technique than a recipe, a way of life. Since the start of lockdown, we have been trying to come up with creative snack recipes for toddlers to make our kids happy and have some healthy food.
This simplistic drive sandwich keep be found at street vendors in India, where two beaten eggs are poured into a pan with chopped onions, veggies and/or chiles, then two slices of bread get quickly dipped into the egg before they’re flipped right over so that they adhere to the cooking omelette. Then the whole omelette with sustenance affixed gets flipped over to toast the bread before the entire thing gets folded up into one neat package.
Tips for Bread Omelette
- I have tried this Bread omelette with Tomato Ketchup, Green chutney and it goes well with these two and enhances the flavour of bread omelette.
- I have used Colby Jack cheese and you can use any cheese for example mozzarella, cheddar etc.
- When you are making for kids you can increase the amount of cheese by adding extra.
- You can also sprinkle some chaat masala on your sandwich with butter on top.
- Besides, you can change to sweet bread. The sweet version is best suitable for kids breakfast or snack box.
This ‘bread Omelet’ Is The Most Genius Way Of Making An Egg Sandwich
This dish has a few names, from “egg on toast” to “bread omelet,” and is common street food in India. It can be topped with a number of different items like chaat masala, chutneys, and cheese — whatever one’s heart desires.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but most people don’t have the time to make a huge meal in the morning. This technique changes the game because everything happens in one skillet and it eliminates the worry of burning your toast. The method is simple, place two or more beaten, seasoned eggs into a hot buttered pan or Tawa and while they’re still runny, place your bread slices on top, side by side. Optionally flip the slices once so both sides are coated in egg.
The process behind the dish is simple, but your options for turning up its flavor are endless. You can cilantro, tomato, peppers, onions — really, anything you are craving or need to use up in the fridge. If you’ve made French toast, the technique will seem very familiar to you, as you dip the bread in eggs and then fry it in the same way.
Are you missing your favourite street foods during the lockdown?
We all are missing our favourite street foods, maybe more than the exotic dishes of fancy restaurants. But the good news is, some of the many street foods can be easily made at home, at least that’s what many home chefs are doing during a lockdown. Thanks to social media, we have been keeping a tab on all the popular food trends and we have a fair idea of what are the most popular dishes people are cooking themselves during the lockdown, and many of our beloved street foods made in our kitchen.
Lets Jump onto the Recipe…
- 2 Bread Slices
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Shredded cheese
- 1/4 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/4 cup Onion
- 1/4 cup Bell pepper
- 1/4 cup Tomato
- Few Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Butter
- Salt as needed
- In a Bowl, crack two eggs and beat the eggs and add salt into it.
- Now add chopped onion, Bell pepper, tomato and coriander leaves, pepper powder, shredded cheese and mix it well.
- Take 2 slices of bread and cut the edges.
- Heat the skillet/griddle and drizzle with some butter into it.
- Toast the bread slices by flipping both sides and add cheese by stacking the bread in the middle.
- Drizzle little butter and pour the egg mixture to the skillet and place the bread on top of it.
- Now cover the bread by folding all the four sides.
- Now flip and cook for 2 mins.
- Serve Immediately.
You might also like : Chicken Fajita at Home